Tuesday 2 September 2014

COOKBOOKS ....MATT PRESTON `S TOP 9

TASTE section of the Herald Sun , Tuesday 2nd September 2014 , featured Masterchef``s ....Matt Preston`s ....
TOP COOK`S READING LIST
1. Margaret Fulton`s Encyclopedia Of Food And Cookery
on equal footing with Stephanie Alexander`s The Cook`s Companion


2. The Essentials Of Classic Italian Cooking  by Marcella Hazen


3. Larousse Gastronomique


4. Harold Mc Gee ...On Food And Cooking


5.  White  Heat by Marco Pierre white


6. The River Café Cookbook by   Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers


7. Arabesque by Greg and Lucy Malouf


8. How To Be A Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson


9.Roast Chicken and Other Stories by Simon Hopkinson


Matt Preston then  invites us as the reader to decide which book should fill the 10th spot .


I have 3 of the books mentioned on Matt`s list , and only one of the books would I include in my top 10 .
From my worthy collection of culinary literature the  choice would depend on my mood , season , occasion and menu required .
There are some poorly researched  recipe books that I keep so I can point out inconsistencies in the industry to students which invites further discussion . I like these books.
On a given day these are  my favourite  recipe books for all the wrong reasons.


 I willingly spend hours reading books about culinary history of any culture .


Asian cultures respect and honour the use of all parts of the slaughtered animal , so there would have to be a book on my list that is all about offal.


So TODAY my selections are ....






My all time  favourite  recipe book
ITALIAN COUNTRY COOKING , The secrets of Cucina Provera , by Loukie Werle.






My all time favourite coffee table recipe book
THE RENAISSANCE OF ITALIAN COOKING  by Lorenza  De Medici






My all time  favourite  book on culinary art
A MATTER OF TASTE by Fulvio Bonavia

My all time favourite  book on cultural heritage
THE RUSSIAN HERITAGE COOKBOOK , A culinary heritage preserved on 360 authentic recipes.


My  all time favourite book on  offal
OFFAL , 5th QUARTER , by Annisa Helou.


My all time favourite healthy recipe collection in a book
GRAINS , by Molly Brown


I wonder what my choice will be tomorrow ?


You can join the discussion and let Matt Preston know what should be in the top 10.
On twitter @ Mattscravat .



No comments:

Post a Comment