Monday 13 April 2015

AUSTRALIA COOKS

On the 9th March 2015 I submitted my own recipe to enter `Australia Cooks ` competition .
My recipe is called Sea Breeze and reflects the bounty and flavours of our shore lines that surround the Gippsland region.
The purpose of the competition was to  highlight the produce that is particular to our area and create a recipe to champion the ingredient.
It was a near impossible task to choose an ingredient or produce that represents my region....I live in the La Trobe Valley , which is in central Gippsland , we could be the food bowl for Australia .
Gippsland has it all...High country venison , kangaroo , the fertile lowlands with dairy farms , beef , sheep , pork , poultry ,orchards , vegetable farmers .
The red soils of Thorpdale and the potato farmers, beekeepers and honey producers .
The award winning cheese makers ..Jindivick , Maffra , Tarago .
The inland waterways , rugged shorelines and beautiful beaches all abound with beautiful fish and shelled seafood .
All of this is my country on a plate ..
How can I choose that which reflects the flavours , the ingredient that makes Gippsland shine .
To me it`s our seafood , which is caught in our waters and sold overseas , as residents of this land we can catch it ourselves  or  purchase it fresh from the boats ..our seafood reflects the diversity of the region and produce available throughout the greater Gippsland region.
My recipe showcases  local seafood enhanced with  fresh herbs and spices .
Today I found out my recipe won the right to be published in the cookbook `Australia Cook`s ` . I am thrilled and honoured .
Thank you ABC  radio 774 .
My recipe can be found on my blog ..SEA BREEZE , posted 9/3/2015 .

No comments:

Post a Comment