Saturday 15 November 2014

REMBERANCE DAY 11/11/2014

My step father Jackiw Grunberg , was an astute and proud man .
Jackiw escaped to Australia  via the Ukraine .
He prospered with his intellect in his new home , his first stay was the immigration sheds in Melbourne ( Bonagilla ) where he learnt English and then was shipped off to the foothills of Noojee , Victoria to fell trees. Later he worked on the Snowy Mountain Scheme , he was fortunate enough with his qualifications ( though he had no proof ) to secure a position as a fitter and turner at the now defunct Gas and Fuel , Mowell. Victoria.
He lived in Morwell West , with his family ..a wife Maria and son William , the three of them having survived their planned escape. My step father and his wife left behind in their  homeland ,  twins who died after birth , a brother who my father witnessed being killed in an almighty hell of a prison camp , where they were both interred and families who they were never to make contact with again.
My step father never spoke of the reasons why Maria left with their son  and found a partner with another man also a defective .
Jackiw bought his own taxi on the proceeds of the golden handshake from the Gas and Fuel.
He later met my mother through the taxis and he took on her daughter as his step child and he fathered two sons John and Michael with his marriage to Elizabeth ( my mother ).
My father built a house in George St , Traralgon.......but things started to change , dad started showing  signs of violence , abusing alcohol, banning the colour red , yellow or green on our clothes or anywhere in the home......but he continued to work , he was now employed at the Hazelwood power station , he never took sick days and  was completely committed to his employ.
My step father suffered from  post traumatic stress disorder ....... but that was not a recognised disease at the time .
Jackiw lived in fear of the KGB  , but maintained a positive exterior presence .
In my early teens my step father was hospitalised for a reason that was unclear to me, mum told us that our father was sick and was away to get better.
My step father returned home and  continued work .
There were always issues that had to be side stepped and we learnt to live these unspoken rules .
Through his silent torture Jackiw taught his sons and step daughter to appreciate our freedom and respect all living creatures and nature.
I cannot imagine the cruelty  my stepfather survived in the prison camps and then to be given the gift of freedom  without  guidance or care on how to heal the mental wounds .
My maternal grandfather Frank Joesph Armstrong was a Rat Of  Tobruk, he fought and lost his life serving with the famous 2/24th in South Africa  and his remains  lie in the  Australian war graveyard , Libya  .
Lest We Forget
 

No comments:

Post a Comment