Wednesday 13 August 2014

WHY IS OFFAL SO EXPENSIVE ?

That was the question I asked Shelley`s husband  Paul  ( a butcher by trade ) today.
So why is offal so expensive ?
To which Paul Giles replied.......because of lunatics like you  making them trendy .
I used to be able to buy a full pigs head , cheeks intact for $7.00.
I can still buy the pigs head but minus the cheeks , the cheeks now sell for $12.99 kg .
Beef cheeks were a special order as they were processed into dog food . Not anymore , they are sold by the kg and you buy them 1 per packet .
Tripe and brains are now displayed in the butchers shop refrigerated display and not small change items anymore .
And try as I do , the black puddings sell out on a regular basis and often before I can purchase my Sunday breakfast treat.
Can anyone afford the lamb neck cutlets , you know the beautiful tender cutlets from the neck , the ones that used to get cut up and sold as dog scraps .
Go on ask your butcher the price of lamb neck cutlets , their value is up there with gold bullion .
Price is indicative of demand and I`m glad people are using these cuts , but the price of offal is way over the top,

No comments:

Post a Comment