Thursday 14 September 2023

CREAM CHEESE AND SMOKED SALMON ROLLS

I was talking to a group of like minded people and the memory of school lunches came up . Now remember my primary and secondary education spanned the 60's - 1972 and school canteens were about as different as you can get today ...(Memories of Mrs Dargie , the lady who ran the Maryvale High school canteen .R.I.P). It was the first time I devoured a fried chip roll with tomato sauce and it was delicious! Maryvale high School definately set the standard and not just in the canteen .!! My favourite lunch meal and yes it could be set in a lunch box but not the lunch boxes I grew up with , I'm talking cooled packed lunch boxes .( you know ice packs ). I would take this as a lunch everyday , this would never been on the lunch menu back in the day ... Growing up on my parents farm in Jeeralang Junction , seriously I never knew about salmon . Remove the crusts from 4 slices of wholemeal bread . In a medium bowl mix together 100gm of cream cheese , 1 tbs of chopped fresh parsley and if you have them growing 2 tbs of nasturtium leaves ( and I do ) , 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice. and a sprinkle of cracked black pepper . Mix together until you have creamy spread . Now spread each slice of bread with the cheese mixture and top with a slice of smoked salmon. Roll up carefully and refrigerate for 2 hours , then you can slice each roll as you like .

No comments:

Post a Comment