Monday 23 March 2015

THE ARTIST .....JOY NAKAMARRA

Today I was invited to sit with the artist Joy Nakamarra , her tribe is Anmtjerre and belongs to the country of Coniston , Northwest of Alice Springs.
Joy was sitting on the grassy reserve along the pedestrian mall in Alice Springs central , displaying her paintings on canvas .
I enquired of the price of the paintings , I bartered for a better deal , the artist agreed but told me she was hungry for lunch and asked if I could go get her `maybe a chicken and salad sandwich with a drink of cold water `, she told me she could not leave her paintings to go to the café .
I  obliged and returned with her lunch in hand .
The artist asked me to sit down with her and remain holding the bag with her lunch in it.
Joy appeared a little nervous , eyeing a young man who was watching us talk she asked where I was from and I replied Gippsland in Victoria , the country of the Kurnai people , the artist said `ah the cold country `..
The man and the artist exchange words and he went off , the artist asked for her lunch and the balance of the money for her painting.
I asked if there was a problem , the artist replied the men will take our money for grog if they know we have any , she was trying  to hide the money she made from the sale of her art
The painting I chose to purchase is titled `Women Collecting Bush Tucker `
The story of the artist and the painting are written in grey lead on the back of the canvas .
 

No comments:

Post a Comment