Tuesday 3 February 2015

AUNT RUBY`S VINAIGRETTE

This vinaigrette is one I fondly remember my aunt Ruby making in a `Carnivale ` glass jug .
I have that jug displayed on a dusty shelf in my kitchen .
This vinaigrette is made with a raw egg yolk .
( I grew up enjoying egg flips , sometimes as a treat but mostly on the occasion of recovery from an ailment , made with fresh milk from `Daisy` the Jersey  cow , which I hand milked everyday for family consumption. ..... the world is a very different place to 50 years ago  )
This vinaigrette is great with a green salad  or a dish of  lukewarm asparagus .
In a small bowl or jug use a fork to blend a teaspoon of Keen`s mustard powder with a teaspoon of honey .
Add the raw egg yolk , a pinch of salt and a tbs of cider vinegar .
Add a little  olive oil and continue to stir until the ingredients combine and becomes golden and creamy.
Any left over dressing keeps well in a jar in the refrigerator .


If the dressing separates , a brisk shake or stir restores the homogeneity.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment