Monday 27 September 2021

POTATO CAKES

How do you like your potato cakes,made with mashed potatoes or sliced potatoes fried in a batter ? If you have no preference , I'll share the recipes for you to give them a go and you decide. I spent the afternoon enjoying making both types of potato cakes . POTATO CAKES WITH MASHED POTATOES .... I peeled and boiled 4 medium potatoes , drained and mashed them . Let them cool slightly . Now add 1 cup of plain flour , 1 onion peeled and diced , 1 beaten egg and season lightly with coarse pepper and salt . Mix together until you have a dough like batter . Heat 1/2 cup of rice bran oil in your pan and place tbs of the mixture into the heated oil and press down lightly . Cook till golden on each side , removed with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels . Repeat until all the potato dough batter is used .
I am a fan the fish'n'chip shop style potato cake . Preheat tour oven to 200 deg C I peeled 6 potatoes and sliced them even evenly , I placed the potato slices on baking paper covered tray in a preheated oven 200 deg c . I baked them for 35 minutes , they were just tender . I removed the tray from the oven and allowed the potato slices to cool . I made a batter .....( this a non fail batter )..mix 1 cup of plain flour with 1/2 tsp of bi carb soda , 1/4 cup of white vinegar with 3/4 cup of water ... beat until smooth . Next heat your deep fryer with 3 cups of rice bran oil . Dip the potato slices into the batter covering all sides , then place gently in the heated oil ( 4 at a time ) until golden on both sides , remove and drain on kitchen towel . Repeat until all potato slices are coated and cooked . You can eat these straight away or let them cool and freeze till needed and they can be oven heated .

No comments:

Post a Comment