Monday 29 February 2016

FIRST DAY OF AUTUMN ........TUESDAY 1ST MARCH 2016

To welcome in Autumn , we made a very breezy raspberry coconut slice in class today .
This slice brings back memories  of a grey haired Aunty named Annie  who came for afternoon tea with my Aunt Ruby on Wednesday afternoons at Fleming St, Morwell.
I only remember Aunt Annie wearing  a grey gaberdine overcoat and a hat , in the winter she wore gloves .
The afternoon teas were very proper ,( not like when people drop by to my house and find me as I am even in PJ`s mid morning ). There was always triangular corn beef sandwiches with mustard and a slice of raspberry coconut slice served alongside a silver teapot of  brewing tea .

This is my version  of Raspberry Coconut Slice .......I don`t have any written recipes from my Aunt`s kitchen , but her flavours have stayed in my mind for nearly 6 decades .

First and foremost always preheat your oven ...today it needs to be 160 deg C F/F or 180 deg Convection .
Grease a lamington tray and layer it with a border of baking paper 5 cm above the sides .
Place in the bowl of an electric mixer 1 lightly beaten egg , 90 gm of softened butter and 110gm of castor sugar and beat till creamy and light.
In another bowl use a 145 grams of my all purpose flour mix  ( make this mix and keep in an air tight container and use as flour ...400gm of almond meal , 30 gm of coconut flour , 130gm of golden flax seeds , 2 tbs of bicarb of soda , 1 tsp of ground psyllium seeds)

                                                                OR ALTERNATIVELY USE
35gm of self raising flour
100gm of plain flour

Now add either flour combination mix to the butter batter along with 1 tbs of custard powder .
Mix with a wooden spoon till you have a firm batter .
Spread the batter over the base of your pan and even out with the back of a wooden spoon
Now I want you to spread out 250 gms of raspberry jam over the batter making sure it spreads to the corners .

Now to finish off we need to make the all important topping ....I use a mix of desiccated and shredded  coconut 160 gm  combined with 55gm of castor sugar  and 2 lightly beaten eggs .......
Mix together thoroughly .
And sprinkle equally over the topping of jam .

Bake for 40 minutes and let cool before slicing .

To the memory of my Aunt Ruby and for her Great nephews  Marc , Shaun , Paul , Dale and  great neice Nicole .
Always remembered
Noelene x

 

No comments:

Post a Comment