Sunday 7 May 2023

THE COMMONSENSE COOKERY BOOK ..BLANCMANGE

I must have learned a few basic skills in the boring ' home eco ' class at Morwell High School ( mid 60's ) , but I do not recall anything , to me it was just boring . All the food was white , eggs , junket , mashed potatoes , suet ....and the imfamous blancmange !! I did not excell in 'home eco ' I do not recall any inspiration from the ' home eco ' classes ... BLANCMANGE ... PG 162 COMMONSENSE COOKERY BOOK . Rinse a basin with cold water Blend 2 tbs of cornflour with some of the milk ( 1 and 1/4 cups noted in the book ) Put the remainder of the milk on to boil in a small saucepan with 1 tbs of sugar and 1 bat leaf , or peach leaf or lemon rind . When nearly boiling , remove from the stove , lift out leaf or rind and stir in cornflour mix . Stir well and return to stove , cook for 3 minutes after it comes to the boil . Add 3 drops of vanilla if required . Pour into wet mould . Stand mould in a shallow basin of cold water to set . Chill . When quite cold , loosen round edge , turn out into a serving dish . Serve with jam , stewed fruit or custard . My home eco teacher was Miss Alexander , my disinterest in cooking wasn't her fault it was just what was expected of teachers to teach ...

No comments:

Post a Comment