Tuesday 1 April 2014

BOOKS AND MORE BOOKS


I seriously recommend everyone should have a Dictionary of Food on hand in their kitchen , they are invaluable as a learning tool .  I am continually surprised how many times I reach for mine , for example this morning I used the term spatchcock in conversation with my son Dale.....he questioned my description of the term telling me it was a breed of fowl ...
Who was correct  , look up your dictionary of Food ..?


My Dictionary of Food  was written by Charles Sinclair  , it is  very comprehensive ... including historical and international food and cooking terms.....
There are a lot of food dictionaries to choose from.

A HISTORY OF FOOD IN 100 RECIPES  by William Sitwell.. is well worth the read .
I originally purchased this book to while away the hours while I was on Masterchef in 2013  and have begun to reread the book , it is really interesting giving great insight to the origins of many dishes and ingredients  ".It certainly creates food for thought " .
 
A cracker of a find in a second hand book shop is my copy of CHOICE CUTS by Mark Kurlansky , complete with hand drawings and some original photos ie  Picasso and the Loaves , translated scripts ie Taillevent`s Oyster Stew, from Le Viandier . c 1390 .

The history of food is a necessary comprehension , to understand where we are heading  we need to have an overview of where we have been in terms of culinary history and culture.



No comments:

Post a Comment