Wednesday 2 October 2013

IT`S SIMPLE ..

S.`I don`t cook , I never cook...they are way too fussy in my house `
N. everyone cooks..
S.Not me .
N. asks D the beautiful little daughter of S......What is the one special thing that mum makes to eat that is your favourite ?
D. Cottage pie...it`s the best, its so yummy .
N. .Rave reviews for a person who doesn't cook....

We all cook and we all do something very well. Foods help us relive a time, an occasion, it can bring a memory to life..remember  grannys`  soldier and hard boiled egg, the sweet potato pie and don`t forget the piece and chip or ice cream served in the `jilly jaws`. Slices of stale bread soaked in cinnamon and warmed milk ,  and lets not forget the draught board toast, cut into squares and laid on a plate to  replicate the draught board , the coloured squares with vegemite and the plain just with butter... I forget the rules but the winner got the extra squares to eat.......
Those of you reading my blog might not agree this is cooking but to the people with these memories , the creator of these delicacies was the best cook and no matter how hard I tried I could never quite make anything the same as granny.

But that is my point , as simple as all those foods were, they were loved and enjoyed. The basic ingredients were always on hand in the pantry,( they never came with a toy or a voucher to get a discount off your next purchase ) and there was as much pleasure  in creating the dish as there was in the eating .

Lets get back to basics , bring fun back into cooking, visit the recipes  that bought so much joy to your lives and lets reinvent them...

post your favourite memory as a comment.......

No comments:

Post a Comment