Saturday 7 August 2021

NUTMEG CAKE (2)

I followed the hand written recipe I found in a very old cookbook , making no change to the directions . The flavour of the cake was spot on , but the crust was too severe which I believe was caused by the excessive cooking time and oven temperature recommended . I also questioned using half of the dried ingredients as a base for the cake. So I will remake the cake using the same ingredients but my preparation will be a little different along with a shorter cooking time and lower temperature . ORIGINAL RECIPE ....as per the written recipe . 1. cup of SR flour 1 . cup of plain flour 125gm of butter . 2.cups of brown sugar 2. tsp nutmeg 1 cup milk with 1 tsp of carb soda (in milk ) 1.egg Put half dry mixture in a slab tin . Mix rest of mixture with milk and soda and egg . Pour on dry mixture . Put on pecan nuts on top . Cook for 1 hour (350 deg). Sprinkle with icing sugar when cooked . REVISED PREPARATION AND METHOD WITH THE SAME INGREDIENTS ... Preheated the oven to 160 deg C. Grease and line a loaf pan . I softened 125 gm of butter/marg and mixed with 2 cups of brown sugar with the electric beater until smooth and creamy . In a separate bowl I lightly beat 1 egg . I placed 1 cup of milk in a bowl with 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda and warmed it in 30 second increments in the microwave until the milk was frothy . In another bowl I mixed together 1 cup of plain flour and 1 cup of self raising flour with 1 dsp of ground nutmeg . Now I added the warmed milk with the beaten egg to the mixer bowl and then added small amounts of the mixed flour , until the batter was smooth . Place in the preheated oven , cook for 40 miutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. PERFECT !!!I finished off the cake with a vanilla icing topped with nutmeg .

No comments:

Post a Comment