Thursday 25 March 2021

FIG CHUTNEY

I have a large fig tree which was grown from a twig , given to me by Paul Salloum , one of the optometrists I worked with when I managed the Traralgon Thrifty Eyewear outlet , many years ago . The tree is laden with figs that are taking time to ripen and the birds usually beat me to the ripe figs. So it makes sense to use the partially ripe figs to make chutney and cooked slowly for 2 and 1/2 hours . I picked half a large bowl of semi soft and mostly firm figs ( green ), I guess around 1 kg^ of figs , I topped and tailed them and removed any spots from the skin , then I sliced and cubed the figs .( they were quite hard ). I placed the chopped figs in a large pot along with 2 onions peeled and sliced , 2 stalks of rhubarb ( I'm fortunate as I have rhubarb all year round in my garden , ) or use 1 large very firm apple ( peeled and sliced ),750 gm of RAW sugar , 1 and 1/2 cups of sultanas , 1 tbs of salt ,1 dsp of whole cloves enclosed in a tea diffuser ,a pinch of chilli powder and 750 ml of brown malt vinegar . Mix well with a wooden spoon and bring to a simmer over a low heat and then continue to simmer for 2 and 1/2 hours until the fruit has softened and the mixture thickened . Spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal. This is delicious . There are a lot of figs out there on the tree , I'm happy to share , the fruit or the chutney .

No comments:

Post a Comment