Thursday 28 May 2020

DECONSTRUCTED PEACH MEMORY ...

I was asked to replicate a memory of a Peach Melba ...
These are the details of the Peach Melba once enjoyed on a train ride  in the early sixties .
From memory the Peach Melba had a sponge style base and cling peach slices were used , the cake was no more than 50 cm high .
This dessert was served on a diesel train from Lilydale to Melbourne , it was a scout trip from Gladysdale toYarra Glen .
First let me correct the title of the dish it definitely is not a traditional Peach Melba .
I have researched train menus from the sixties , used my extensive collection of old recipe books  , nothing matches the memory.
Peach Melba  is an individual dessert of poached , skinned and destoned  peaches topped with fresh raspberry sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream .
So using the scant details from the memory , I created A Deconstructed Peach Memory...
1 used 2 small round cake pans and a vanilla sponge mix and divided the mix evenly between the pans.
I used only one half of the prepared sponge cakes .
I lightly spread the base of the cake with raspberry jam and placed it jam side down on a plate .
Then I  spread a  fine layer of passion fruit curd over the top and placed the drained cling peach slices  and crushed raspberry jelly  rounds on top .
I bordered the peach cake with halved pavlova discs filled with raspberry frosting .
Then piped unsweetened thickened cream to fill the gaps between the pavlova border and finished off with a fine crumble of pavlova.

No comments:

Post a Comment