Sunday 3 April 2022

FIG JAM

I am very fortunate to have my very own fig tree , originating from a twig gifted to me from the optometrist Paul salloum , who I worked with for many years . The fruit is so bountiful , there is enough for the birds , myself , family and anyone who would like to come and pick their own . Today my son Marc and his partner Tasha came and picked fruit from the fig tree , dug up Jerusalem artichokes. It was special to share the fruit from my garden with family . Today I made my first lot of fig jam . Put 1 kg of freshly picked figs ( stalks removed ) in a large heatproof bowl and pour over boiling water , cover and let sit for 5 minutes . Then drain , cool and cut the figs into pieces . Place the figs 125 ml of lemon juice along with 125 ml of water into a large pan . Bring to the boil , then reduce the heat and simmer , covered for 20 minutes , or until the figs are soft . Now add 1 kg of castor sugar and stir over a medium heat , without boiling for 5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved . Then bring to the boil for 20 minutes , stirring occasionally . When it is thick and pulpy , a skin will form on the surface and it will wrinkle when lightly pressed with your finger . Pour immediately into clean , jars and seal . Turn the jars upside down for 2 minutes , then invert and leave to cool . Label and date . Store in a cool dark place for 6 months , when opening the jam it will last for 6 weeks stored in a refrigerator .

No comments:

Post a Comment