Thursday 27 May 2021

MATCHSTICKS

Matchsticks are a take on the classic French millefeuille . These take me back to my childhood when I lived with my Aunt and Uncle and their son , my cousin Bill Newton . My Aunt Ruby would purchase 'A' matchstick as a treat on rare occasions from the Dutch bakery on the corner of Church and Buckley St, Morwell. My Aunt would slice it in half , one half for Bill and the other for me , it was always a reward for good behaviour ......so it was a rare treat ! Preheat your oven to 200 deg C. You will need 2 sheets of store bought puff pastry , cut each sheetn in half , then slice each half into 5 equal pieces . This will give you 20 rectangles of pastry . Lightly spray a baking tray and line with baking paper and a light sprinkle of fine polenta Put half the pastry onto the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes , or until golden and puffed . Transfer to a wire rack to cool and repeat with remaining pastry . Next beat 300 ml of cream in a bowl with 1/4 cup of icing sugar until thick. Spread 1 dsp of strawberry jam on a piece of pastry , spoon over a good dollop of whipped cream and then top with another pastry . Repeat until the pastries, jam and cream are all used . Finish off by sifting icing sugar over the pastries and serve .

No comments:

Post a Comment